Recipes and Guides
StillMeadow Pumpkin Butter
This recipe takes about 2 days (or one really long day!) You can allow the pumpkin mixture to cool overnight in the refrigerator before food processing in steps 1 or 5.
24 cups of cooked pumpkin (about 2 large pumpkins)*
6 cups of sugar
2 cups of brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
6 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
*To remove the rind, chop pumpkins into sections and remove seeds. Bake in oven meat side down in about an inch of water at 350 degrees for 1-2 hours, until pumpkin meat is tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool (about an hour or you can refrigerate overnight to continue the next day). Scoop or cut pumpkin meat from the rind.
1. Place cooked pumpkin in a food processer and puree just to remove large pieces.
2. Place processed pumpkin in a slow cooker with sugars and cover. Cook on HIGH setting for 4 hours.
3. Remove cover and add cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook 4 hours more, uncovered. Stirring occasionally.
4. Add apple cider vinegar and continue to cook for 4 hours more, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
5. Allow butter to cool a bit and then food process in small batches. Add to a bowl or pot to prepare for canning.
6. Freeze or can using a hot water bath. Store in refrigerator after opening.
Makes approximately 9 pints.